Wednesday 22 April 2009

Whose's Phat at F.A.T: Toronto Alternative Arts & Fashion Week

Day 2 of the 4th annual Toronto Alternative Arts & Fashion Week (F.A.T) was an interesting mix of what the event is all about: fashion, art and music all under one roof (Building 6) in the cobbled Distillery District.

Two shows made me sit-up and take notice: “Worth” by David C. Wigley and “Romandin” by Cristina Sabaiduc. These two designers were ahead of the pack in terms of talent and creativity: David with his excellent tailoring (the pants!) and Cristina with her knotted ropes and knitted fabrics transposed into the most romantic “I-want-that” collection. Bravo! to them both.

The Amanda Rose collection was noteworthy for the great models, fishnets, lace-edged slips (or dresses for the daring) and the pin-up girl panties with the sides cut out, but I wasn’t shopping for me or anyone else I know as I watched the show. Still there was enough there for me to possibly check out what else the line has to offer.


Zuzanium I remember more for aerial and acrobatic artists Rebecca and Angola of A Girl in the Sky. As the opening and closing act for the Zuzanium fashion show, they definitely impressed with their strong, sexy, and athletic performance. I’ve seen such performances numerous times (including an underwhelming one that same night at F.A.T), but all I can say for this company is Wow! Got an event coming up? Book ‘em.

I missed Day 1 of F.A.T (the theme was HOME), but a source told me that it was just as well-attended as Day 2’s PLANET themed event. I’m looking forward to attending Day 3. Tonight’s theme is GUTTER. F.A.T runs until April 24th and that night’s theme is BEYOND.

Shout out! to Project Runway Canada finalist, Jessica Biffi (look for the Jessica dress at Winners) and Vawk stylist, Ken (husband of PRC winner, Sunny Fong). I love nice people.

Photo Credit: Guy Godfree (from http://agirlinthesky.com/)

No comments:

1.         Photo courtesy of www.tiff.net A BUMP ALONG THE WAY (DISCOVERY) Synopsi s: With her charismatic smile and formida...