Monday 25 February 2008

Théâtre français de Toronto: Check out the Subtitled/Biligual Plays!

“Photography by: Nir Bareket

I went to see my first surtitled PLAY a few weeks ago. Set in Montreal, the award-winning Strawberries in January/Des Fraises en Janvier is a delightful romantic comedy by Evelyne de la Chenelière about four young people searching for love.

I had seen operas with English captions, but never a play staged in an intimate theatre. It was very refreshing to hear Québécois French being spoken, and very comforting to have the translations there for me when the French got too rapid-fire for my high school French. While some of the surtitled performances may be a bit challenging for those with no knowledge of French, Théâtre français de Toronto has given me another place to look for my theatrical outings.

Celebrating its 40th anniversary, Théâtre français de Toronto's next production is the
bilingual show without subtitles L'homme invisible/The Invisible Man by Patrice Desbiens (March 26 - April 6).

For more information visit
www.theatrefrancais.com or call the Berkeley Street Box Office at 416.534.6604 or 1 800.819.4981



The Cast of L'homme invisible/The Invisible Man
“Photography by: Mathieu Girard


No comments:

1.         Photo courtesy of www.tiff.net A BUMP ALONG THE WAY (DISCOVERY) Synopsi s: With her charismatic smile and formida...