Thursday 11 September 2008

donna g's TIFF 08 Coverage: Day 8 a.k.a That's Entertainment

CONTROL ALT DELETE

Unlike last year's sex comedy, Young People Fucking, this film is funny from beginning to end, and has a social message that is very current, considering that it is set in 1999 on the eve of Y2K. Underneath the geek humour and man-CPU relations, are themes of social isolation and lack of intimacy. Why not get away from the computers and tuck your I-pods away and have a good laugh with this outrageous romp.

Upcoming Screenings:
Friday September 12 06:00PM AMC 1
Saturday September 13 10:15AM AMC 10

WHITE NIGHT WEDDING

The film's director, Baltasar Kormákur, is also directs for the stage. White Night Wedding is based on Anton Chekhov's Ivanov. While watching this film, I kept thinking that I would much rather see this done as a play. There is something about the editing and pace of the film that doesn't quite work, despite the strong cast. There is one paralell scene with the wife talking to the pastor about her failing marriage that is contrasted with a scene of the husband and his new lover. The interior and exterior photography is beautiful, and I especially like the performance of actress Laufey Elíasdóttir, who plays the wife. This film is not bad, but I much prefer another Icelandic film, Country Wedding.
Final Screening
Friday September 12 03:45PM SCOTIABANK THEATRE 2

A FILM WITH ME IN IT

I actually laughed so hard I was cackling. The Farce lives! I'm hoping this one comes to a theatre near me because I'm going again. I can never resist the caustic demeanour of actor Dylan Moran of one of my favourite series, Black Books.

ME AND ORSON WELLES

The is a point in the festival when you just want to sit back and be entertained. Well, I was there this evening at 7:15 pm, which is why I went to a Press screening of this film--not originally on my list. Christian McKayis absolutely brilliant as Welles. I also enjoyed the performance by Zoe Kazan. I find that sometimes actress in period pieces have too modern a look, but Zoe fit right in to 1937, and I loved her character. Not Linklater's best work, but I was thoroughly entertained.

No comments:

1.         Photo courtesy of www.tiff.net A BUMP ALONG THE WAY (DISCOVERY) Synopsi s: With her charismatic smile and formida...